About Food Salvagers

Any person who engages in the business of reconditioning, labeling, relabeling, repacking, recoopering, sorting, cleaning, culling, or by other means salvaging, and who sells, offers for sale, or distributes for human or animal consumption any salvaged food, beverage (including beer, wine and distilled spirits), vitamin, food supplement, dentifrice, drug, cosmetic, single-use food container or utensil, soda straws, paper napkins, or any other product of a similar nature that has been damaged or contaminated by fire, water, smoke, chemical, transit, insects, rodents, or by any other means. (Los Angeles County Code, Title 8, Section 8.04.180)

You May Be Interested In...

We conduct inspections of the following: wholesale food processing and manufacturing plants, wholesale food markets, food salvagers, and wholesale independent milk vehicles. Additionally, we are responsible for conducting foodborne illness investigations, responding to food product recalls and providing emergency response to possible contamination or adulteration of food.

Report a Problem

If you encounter a problem at a wholesale food-related facility, or to report any public health issues, call the Environmental Health Division of the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health Wholesale Food & Safety Program at (626) 813-3477. Telephone agents are available on Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM-5:00 PM, or File a Complaint Online.

Public Health will not ask you about your immigration status and you can file a report without giving your name.

For help with other employment issues, such as fair wages, breaks, and more, contact the California Labor Commissioner at 320 W. 4th Street, Suite 450, Los Angeles 90013 or call (213) 620-6330. You will not be asked about your immigration status and interpreters are available to help you.

Contact Us