Class B Cottage Food Operators

A "Class B" CFO can sell cottage foods directly to the consumer, as with Class A and may also sell indirectly to consumers within Los Angeles County. A "Class B" CFO is required to register and obtain a permit from Los Angeles County Department of Public Health.

A permit is issued only after our inspection has verified that your home kitchen meets requirements. In addition to direct sales, indirect sales can be made to:

Find a List of Approved Class B Cottage Food Operators.

Business Information and Documents

How much does it cost to become a CFO in Los Angeles County?

Effective August 8, 2013, new fees for Cottage Food Operator Registrations and Permits were implemented, as approved by the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors on July 9, 2013. Cottage Food Operator Class B applications will be received without a fee, however payment is required prior to issuance of the Permit.

Class B Permit (includes review & permit): $292.00


Below information provides details on the California Homemade Food Act (AB 1616) and Cottage Foods:

To obtain information regarding the approved cottage foods, labeling requirements, and food processor course, please visit California Department of Public Health (CDPH) website Cottage Food Operations page.

You May Be Interested In...

Report a Problem

If you encounter a problem with a home-based cottage food business, or to report any public health issues, call the Environmental Health Division of the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health Customer Call Center at (888) 700-9995. Telephone agents are available on Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM-5:00 PM, or File a Complaint Online.

Public Health will not ask you about your immigration status and you can file a report without giving your name.

For help with other employment issues, such as fair wages, breaks, and more, contact the California Labor Commissioner at 320 W. 4th Street, Suite 450, Los Angeles 90013 or call (213) 620-6330. You will not be asked about your immigration status and interpreters are available to help you.

Contact Us